.

.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Light and Sound: The Body's Basic On/Off Switches

I picked these tips up from a friend a couple years back and it has worked for me, especially when dealing with jetlag, so I decided to share it with you.

note: for those of you who are too stressed out or anxious I will soon post about the psychology of sleep and discuss various techniques to relax and clear your mind so that you can fall asleep.

Light is one of the basic indicators telling your body when to wake up and when to fall asleep. When you go to bed, avoid bright light. If you sleep in a bright environment, buy an eye cover.

Similarly, sound discourages your body from falling asleep, so if you sleep in a noisy environment, buy earplugs. I sleep with these every night, even if there is no noise around. They also work great for everyday use if you want to focus in a noisy environment.

Light and sound should be reduced when going to bed, but you should expose yourself to them if you want to wake up. Turn on a bright light immediately after you wake up, while you drink a tall glass of cool water as I suggested in my previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment